Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mitt Romney's "Pro-life Pledge"

The Corner has Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's personal "pro-life pledge." After stating the prolife policies he would support, here's his reasoning for not signing Susan B. Anthony List's pledge.
As much as I share the goals of the Susan B. Anthony List, its well-meaning pledge is overly broad and would have unintended consequences. That is why I could not sign it. It is one thing to end federal funding for an organization like Planned Parenthood; it is entirely another to end all federal funding for thousands of hospitals across America. That is precisely what the pledge would demand and require of a president who signed it.

The pledge also unduly burdens a president’s ability to appoint the most qualified individuals to a broad array of key positions in the federal government. I would expect every one of my appointees to carry out my policies on abortion and every other issue, irrespective of their personal views.

If I have the opportunity to serve as our nation’s next president, I commit to doing everything in my power to cultivate, promote, and support a culture of life in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment