Friday, November 02, 2012

Life Links 11/2/12

Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Bob Kerrey's memory must be going bad.  He also doesn't seem to understand the ban that got overturned was a state ban, not a federal one.
Kerrey acknowledges that his vote against the partial-birth abortion ban was unpopular in some quarters, but he argued it was the right thing to do. He noted that the U.S. Supreme Court later ruled the ban unconstitutional.

"It's an unpopular vote, in part, because it was misunderstood," said Kerrey.

In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a partial-birth abortion ban. However, in 2006, the court upheld a similiar version of the law, which stands today.


Jamie McKay, a 19-year-old who was MTV's 16 and Pregnant has revealed she had an abortion which she regrets.
"Thank you all for the love and support but I want you to know I did not miscarry. I chose abortion. I chose it out of fear. I feel like I made a mistake and I can't take it back," the reality TV star revealed to her followers.

"I have had this in my heart and it has been very hard on me," she continued. "I was afraid to be judged by my family, my mother, even my dad. So I did it before they could find out. I should have looked into my options more but I didn't. Ryan has been supportive through it all in case you all were wondering he is the father of that child too. And he let me make my decisions. I got on birth control right afterwards."

While the 19-year-old teen mom's heartfelt honesty sparked many supportive comments, Jamie also got some vicious attacks after she posted a photo (which has since been taken down) of her ultrasound, with the caption, "Rest in peace little angel. September 17, 2012."


The New York Times has a long article on Charmaine Yoest of Americans United for Life.
Yoest takes pleasure in the idea of being the underdog fighting the liberal orthodoxy. She repeatedly brought up Planned Parenthood and its president, Cecile Richards, comparing A.U.L.'s $4 million budget with Planned Parenthood's $1 billion. "If the pro-choice side got traction, it's because Cecile Richards has the bigger microphone," she would say. Or, "We have to be countercultural — after all, Cecile Richards has the self-appointed duty of defining what's pro-woman these days."

No comments:

Post a Comment