Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Salon writer admits the unborn are "human life" "worth sacrificing"

Lots of interesting quotes in this piece from pro-choicer Mary Elizabeth Williams in which she admits the unborn are living human beings, points out the problems in trying to pretend they're not, encourages other pro-choice people to abandon their attempts to act like wanted children are somehow different than unwanted ones and then claims (as if she were a worshiper of Moloch) that the lives of the unborn are "worth sacrificing."
Yet I know that throughout my own pregnancies, I never wavered for a moment in the belief that I was carrying a human life inside of me. I believe that's what a fetus is: a human life. And that doesn't make me one iota less solidly pro-choice.....

When we on the pro-choice side get cagey around the life question, it makes us illogically contradictory. I have friends who have referred to their abortions in terms of "scraping out a bunch of cells" and then a few years later were exultant over the pregnancies that they unhesitatingly described in terms of "the baby" and "this kid.".....

It seems absurd to suggest that other only thing that makes us fully human is the short ride out of some lady's vagina. That distinction may apply neatly legally, but philosophically, surely we can do better.....

If by some random fluke I learned today I was pregnant, you bet your ass I'd have an abortion. I'd have the World's Greatest Abortion.....

In an op-ed on "Why I'm Pro-Choice" in the Michigan Daily this week, Emma Maniere stated, quite perfectly, that "Some argue that abortion takes lives, but I know that abortion saves lives, too." She understands that it saves lives not just in the most medically literal way, but in the roads that women who have choice then get to go down, in the possibilities for them and for their families. And I would put the life of a mother over the life of a fetus every single time — even if I still need to acknowledge my conviction that the fetus is indeed a life. A life worth sacrificing.

No comments:

Post a Comment